3.31.2014

The Skin I'm In

Just had an "A-ha" revelation about my skin. I'm frequently complimented on my skin.

That it is beautiful, that it is glowing, and everytime someone says that, I cringe. I have always felt like such a  fraud, wondering "what do they see?"

I've thought my skin is terrible, because I see all the flaws, the blemishes, the evidence of aging...things I have been battling my whole life, exacerbated now by SLE.  I just NOW realized that pretty skin does not equal maintenance-free. That yes, I may be blessed with good genes, but life takes it toll, and that all the efforts I have put into "maintaining" my skin have resulted in something of beauty that people see, and are awed by. So I'm just going to start accepting the compliments, and be grateful that someone even notices!



Please don't confuse this with any perceived lack of self-esteem. Believe me, I do know that I am beautiful. Thank you very much for co-signing that. :) This is more about my new awareness that yes, people ARE seeing the work that I have put into my skincare. That the results must be amazing, even as the problems and battles become even more troubling to deal with. Just because I try to take care of my skin does not mean that it is not naturally pretty -- it just means that it is natural to take care of one's skin.

Wow...revelation can come at any time, even some 40+years into this life!

..::More to Come::..

0 comments: