5.10.2007

Cicadas...again

I REALLY thought I was done with these things. But damnit if I haven't run into them again.

The memories, literally painful, of the Brood X have begun to stir with the news that these gawd-awful creatures are popping up in the Chi. Where I will be spending the next 96 hours or so.

My family STILL cracks up at the injuries I sustained trying to get out of the way of these things during the first emergence I ever had to experience. Something about injuring my back trying to expeditiously get me, my comforters, and laundry detergent into the car before a cicada or two joined us, and dodging them in a Metro parking lot before running face first into a parked mini-van...

No fun, I tell ya...at least not for me.

I thought I'd conquered the "big bug" fear when I lived in Costa Rica. I mean there, I learned to co-exist with flying cockroaches, mosquitoes as big as your hand, lagartijas in the sink, alladat, yanno? But my cousins in Maryland used to kid me about these "invasions" of bugs that happened every so often. How they were so prevalent they crunched under your shoes as you walked. How they attacked and would get stuck in your hair. HA! Their stories spooked me so that I promised myself that I would be LONG gone from Maryland and living abroad by the time they returned. Ha ha ha....well life had other plans and damnit if I didn't find myself back in DC when they started emerging from the ground for cicada sex back in 2004.

So I moved south.

And for the record, a single singing cicada in a tree doesn't bother me. They DO bother my oldest and dearest friend, Jaunese, but THAT'S a whole nutha memorable story. Those things are everywhere in the summertime. It's the bagillions of them all at one time all over the place that creep me the hell out.

So I'm bracing for the onslaught when I arrive this weekend. But this time the fam will be WITH me and I can't WAIT 'til they have the experience. I won't be the only one laughed at, that's for sure!

1 comments:

princessdominique said...

They are annoying creatures. They were all over the Bronx and imagine the horror when your cat brings them home.