6.01.2013

Weeks into Days...


These damn M&MS!!!  Swear they are like crack.  The M&MS here are so rich and creamy and I cannot stop eating them.  They cost to damn much to be a crack habit.  But I'm doing my part to keep Mars Chocolate France and Middle East in business!

Speaking of which, my inner fat girl...she's been WINNING of late. Fuddruckers. Starbucks. Planet Donuts. Seriously. And I already mentioned the M&MS. But it's ok, because in a few more weeks time, it's back to alkaline water, fresh fruit, no fried foods. Because I bought a dress today that I have to squeeze myself into, and this Middle East diet is not making it easy. 

Today, I went bargain shopping at the souks in downtown Amman.  What an experience.  I think I got pretty decent deals.  Most of my gifts for the folks back Stateside, and a couple of items for myself.  Including two beautiful dresses.  Now, to know me, is to know I love me a Mu-mu.  If you have visited me in my home, chances are I'm rocking a Mu-Mu when I come to the door.  I'm rather a fan for the $6.99 variety found among the racks at Ross.  So, to come to the middle east, where all the women are covered from head to toe in some form of a headress, scarf or Mu-mu.  I have discovered Mu-mu heaven! But the kicker is that I don't want a Mu-mu made in India...duh, I am in Jordan.  And please don't let it be "Made in China." Already got gipped on some scarves that way. If I can find it in my local TJMaxx or Marshalls, I'll pass. I wanted authentic, high-quality, handmade women's wear from the Middle East.  Even if I don't know what to call it, or how to pronounce it...it'll talk for itself when I wear it :) Photos to come...

I've had a chance to explore the neighborhoods of the city more and find Amman to be quite intriguing.  There's much here that appeals to my "western" sensibilities. Cafes and coffeeshops, ice cream and gelaterias, bakeries and pastries on every damn corner.  I tell you, me and my inner fat girl are CONSTANTLY having words!  Malls...and to think, you couldn't find me in a mall in the states but 2 or 3 times a year. At BEST. I've been to at least 5 here already.  That's the hangout joint.  Alas, I suppose it is in the States, too, but I'm over "hanging out" when at home.  The malls here are pretty upscale and pricey, all things considered. Lots of wealthy Arab money (read: Saudis, Emirates, Iraqis) being spent. I just go to people watch and plug into the free Wifi LOL The grocery stores, or markets...ahhh, how I love me a grocery store, yes?! I have to stop myself from entering everytime I pass one, but I must say, I get much joy from perusing the aisles, looking for those "Imported Especially for You" signs on recognizable products and seeing all manner of foodstuffs on the shelves.  Can't find coconut milk or Cool Whip to save my life, but finally found vanilla "essence" not extract. It'll have to do. Before I'd even arrived, I'd heard all about Carrefour, a French market retailer.  Well, I hit the "hypermarket" in Amman's largest mall, City Mall, and was NOT disappointed. Two stories, SuperWalmart big on BOTH levels -- groceries on the first, household goods on the second.  Today's best entertainment was brought by the stalled escalator that prevented shoppers from descending from the second to the first floor with all their goodies.  Much confusion and commotion ensued. In multiple languages. Call me bemused!

I even ran into another African-American in Carrefour. Young brotha from Texas.  He, too, has only been here a couple weeks and wanted to know if I knew anyone who could twist his locks. Dude. Good luck with THAT. I just want to get my haircut! I've been warned that barbers here would shy away from cutting a woman's hair as short as I wear mine. So, I guess we'll see what happens...

Being African-American/Black/Colored/Negro in Amman.  I get stared at, alot. I've been followed. Been called "Serena Williams", and asked if I am from the Sudan.  And let's not forget, people clamor to take photos WITH ME. I am a regular tourist attraction in my own right. People have also been quite polite and courteous. I have been on my best behavior, cheerful and respectful in all my dealings, comings and goings. My two favorite words in Arabic (all the Arabic I know, mind you) are Mumtaz and Shukran...Wonderful and Thank you! (ah yes...the title of an upcoming blog LOL) And that's because things are pretty much wonderful...and I am very much thankful. Residing here has made me much more aware of the intricacies of identity in the Middle East. We Americans are so woefully mis/underinformed. One of the greatest takeaways from the trip for me is the perspective of others that I am gaining from watching AlJazeera, Dubai One, BBC and France 24. I've learned more about the Syrian conflict in the last 2 weeks than I have ever heard about in the US since it began almost two years ago.  For all the fun and pleasant times I am having, at the center of this experience, is learning and education.  I am forever growing...

Delightfully so. As I hope my next adventure to the Dead Sea will demonstrate.

..::More to Come::..

0 comments: