2.21.2015

Realizing My Wants

The question asked was:
If you were a luxury item, what would you be and why?
A radiantly soft, plush, cashmere blanket. A rare find, warm and comforting. You will savor being wrapped in my presence...and I would be "pleased to cover you." -- shoutout to Mos Def

A couple of revealing moments this week --

Uno) That which I say I want, on paper, really turns out to NOT be what I want or even LIKE, in real life.
Short story -- recently got on, then got off of the online dating scene. But before I got off, I had interacted for about a week with a gentleman, that for all intents and purposes (I just like using that phrase) was what I SAID I wanted. Tall, dark, handsome, pretty smile, fit, single (hate that HAS to be said), didn't have children, employed, self-sufficient, polite, etc. We had a few days of that back-and-forth messaging conversation. But I removed my profile without a word (rude, I know) and lost touch. I wasn't ready at that time to date.

Fast forward to last week. I'm at this "mixer" having a good time meeting and conversing with new people. One of my personal goals is to become more social and increase my networking circle, so me attending this activity was one way of working on that goal. I noticed this tall, nice-looking man walk in the room from my periphery, but I was engaged in a hearty conversation with a few others at a table, so I didn't take a good look at him then. The room was engaged in a speed question game and eventually I ended up at a table with this gentleman, seated right next to him. Up close, I notice he IS attractive, and as we are conversing, asking and answering questions, he is saying all the right things! But I also notice, he's reserved, not very outgoing, nor adventurous in what he likes to do. Right if front of me, I watch my attraction for him die. Maybe he's just shy, maybe he find me off-putting, I can't call it. He just doesn't initiate conversation and I liken his personality to that of dried paint.

I'm up and off  to another table, engaging in delightful conversation with others and don't see him again before I leave. That night however, when I get home I see that photos have been posted of the event and in his tagged profile photo, is the same picture of the man I interacted with on that online dating site! Nah....couldn't be, I tell myself, but yes, it is him.  Me being the outgoing one, I followed up and, yes, it turns out he remembered me, too, from that dating site. We'll likely see each other around at upcoming events, but that is not a dating route I wish to embark upon. The whole interaction has me questioning what is really important as I get back on the dating scene. And reminds me YET AGAIN to not be so distracted by the physical. Because looking back, what I found initially attractive about this man is his resemblance to someone else...my "cuttybuddy" who I already have, so why engage with a look-alike or substitute?


Which brings me to moment...


Dos) Quality time is my primary love language and I LOVE that my "cuttybuddy" gets that!

"Cuttybuddy" came up in the chatter this week thanks to Being Mary Jane, and the gloriousness that is Thomas Jones. I was especially gleeful that he tweeted me this week, and it reminded me that I did blog about my crush on him some 8 years back, thus cementing MY place on the Thomas Jones bandwagon. All these new heffas learning about him this week should BEAT IT! LOLOL

That said, the term itself provided what I needed, what I was quietly in search of -- an appropriate "title" for what I have been involved in. "Boy-toy" is strange, given he's older than me. I hate the "FWB" moniker, as I do "booty call," and taking to calling this "platonically sexual" or "sexually platonic" was simply too much. "Cuttybuddy" to the rescue! Literally. For he handles all my sexual needs in the time and space allotted. And I learned something this week, that when he's with me, he puts his phone on airplane mode. Y'ALL! That is NOT insignificant.

One of my issues in my most recent relationship was his "busyness" and that includes being so damn busy and accessible, that he found it necessary to answer his cell phone while engaged in the act. He did this on two occasions. It hurt my feelings, and certainly contributed to our demise, even if I didn't expressly state that. I never seemed to have his full attention, not even when fcuking. SMH.

Now in the mean time, in between time, "Cuttybuddy" handles me. Very well, and I am assured that when we have our time together, I have his undivided attention -- he is focused on me completely, quality time, as it should be. It's the little things, ya'll...

..::Song of the Day: Calls, by Robert Glasper featuring Jill Scott::..

0 comments: