[Song of the Day: Sunrise, by Simply Red]
Somebody said -- "...I'd rather watch sunrises, than sunsets..."
I can't properly articulate what I feel about this election. I feel such anguish. Disappointment. Anger, perhaps? Yet, I remain encouraged by what I witnessed on Tuesday and again the following morning -- evidence of the youth vote, particularly in our community. I listened to a group of young men debate the election and what had or hadn't happened with the vote and it left me with hope, afterall. All the voter registration drives, and get out the vote drives seem to have reached their target audiences, but it didn't sway as was expected. But that the young vote was there is very encouraging. I stood in line for a couple hours with plenty of folks younger than me -- who were not at all dissuaded by the length of the line. Seeing photos of long lines of young people encouraged my heart, truly it did!! But will they step up again in a couple years or 4 years? I am less certain about that, particularly if they feel like they did as encouraged but the result wasn't what they anticipated. Welcome to the democratic process, no?
We did what we were called to do -- but what is next? As much as I love the color red, seeing all that red on the US map made me wanna puke. I keep asking myself "What the fluck happened?!" Part of me is greatly energized -- I've been talking strategy for taking back at least two southern states all week. Maryland, bless its heart will ALWAYS be a Blue state, and I don't ever have to vote here for it to stay a Blue state, but damn...we gotta get some Blue down south. At least two states, one of the Carolinas, maybe Georgia...Virginia is on the cusp. I say Blue CAN prevail, but we HAVE to start NOW. Take charge of this "moral values" debate so we aren't left wondering what the fluck happened again when the conversation was never ours to begin with. Dumbya's values aren't mine but it doesn't make mine any less worthy -- my voice has to be heard in this dialogue.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Change DOES happen....I won't jinx myself and I have plans in action but ain't this somethin'? My epiphany is in motion and I am loving. every. minute. of it. The sun is definitely rising on a brand NEW thing. Stay prayerful with me, won't ya?!
...::More to Come::...
11.05.2004
Sunrises
Posted by sj-the-infamous at 5.11.04
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment