3.27.2005

Sunday Best

I dunno when the tradition of "Sunday Best" went south....but when I was coming up, going to "chuch" meant getting dressed up in your "Sunday Best." And EASTER, was the Sunday of ALL SUNDAYS. You knew negroes was gonna show up and show out in they finest Easter wear.

And the lil people...lawd. Nothing like Easter Sunday. Lil folks up before dawn, looking for all the candy the Easter Bunny left for them, which they have been eating since before breakfast, then forced to put on their Easter outfits -- lil girls in their white bonnets, gloves, starched dresses (with itchy petticoats), and clean, brand new white patent leather shoes --- and don't forget the Easter Sunday pocketbook!! And lil boys in bowties and suits, hanging a good 2 sizes too big, brand new shoes, which you know they ain't wanna wear, but they are the cutest thangs -- and they come to "Chuch"...all dolled up, full of sugar and the parents DARE 'em to move or make a sound LMAO Babies be adorable on Easter Sunday morning, God Bless 'em...

But today, as I sat in church, there was 1...count 'em...ONE woman in a hat. Growing up, everybody's mama and they mama's grandmama had a hat, and in my church, Mrs. McFarland, God rest her soul, had the FIERCEST hats. Baby....on a 45 degree angle with beads hanging, fancy wire designs, lace...one Easter we swore a live dove was gonna fly out her head!! LOL

The concept of "Sunday Best" has been lost. Churches and congregations have their appeals and reasons for inviting people to "come as they are" and that is what you see, even on Easter Sunday. This trend of dress down does give me pause. Guess, I can't help it-- It's how I was raised, to be "dressed" when I enter the house of the Lord. And among the many rituals of going to "chuch" dressing up is one of them. Personally, I kinda miss it. Not the corollaries and fashion show agendas of "Sunday Best", but seeing people honor God's house by entering dressed in their BEST.


Happy Easter to ya....

3 comments:

city girl said...

The 'casualness' of church kinda makes me sad as well. Church was a major part of my upbringing and I remember that my mom wouldn't let me step foot in church if I had bare arms showing, was not wearing pantyhose or if I had pants on! Now, I may wear some nice black pants to service but I will never, ever show up in jeans. And it still surprises me when I see others wearing khakis and denim in the sanctuary. Of course I understand that what's on the outside isn't that important, but I can't help but reminisce about the good ole' days.

courtney said...

yep yep....."sunday's best" has turned into "sunday's trash"....smh

Jazz said...

that was my mom, her sisters, her mom, their buddies.....eerrr-body in my family had on a big hat. that's what i love so much. the hats, clutch bags, heels and gloves.....decked out. aaahhh, those were the days.