I'm upon my second night ever in the Middle East. I must say I am delightfully surprised. Everyone I told I was going to Jordan practically gushed with excitement. Did they know something I did not?! Modern. Convenient. Historical. Naturally Beautiful. This is what I've observed in some 24 hours since I've landed. I've found myself tearstruck by being here. This being part of God's plan for me, at least twice already. A M A Z I N G...
...this opportunity is. And to think I am actively trying to LEAVE this job LOL I just giggled when the Program Director professed how much he has enjoyed collaborating with me and how he wants us to be able to do this again next year and the years to come!
Anyhoo...
I expect to learn as much as I teach here. Which speaks to me reciprocal learning belief. Somehow some way, I will likely even pick up some Arabic! Funny, I default into wanting to speak Spanish, as a way of overcoming the language barrier here. I've had to catch myself a few times wanting to ask something in Spanish or Spanglish. I'm unsure if reading or writing Arabic will ever come, but the pronunciation is a goal.
So, as I sit here in a brand new furnished apartment -- so new, not even all the appliances were connected -- responsible for 12 college-aged, American lives in the midst of region of uprisings -- I'm awed, about the trajectory of my life. Six months ago, I wasn't sure I would live. Six weeks ago, my focus was on developments that ended up NOT panning out.
I'm here. I feel pretty good. The trip over didn't take as much out of me as anticipated. I could be eating better. I've had more bread over the past 72 hours than in the past 3 months combined LOL I feel heavier already LOL But a trip to the souk and market should provide the fresh veggies, spices, fruits and water to balance me out. I will get my walk on around the neighborhood, and feel fairly safe doing so.
There's journey's to Petra, and to the Dead Sea. There's middle of the evening, morning, afternoon prayer calls. There's a middle-eastern perspective on the "news" of the day. There's an awful lot of good-looking Jordanian men! That was DEFINITELY a surprise :)
Thankful. Filled with gratitude, and hope for a stress-free, trouble-free trip. So far, my prayers have been answered. For THIS, I give HIM praise!
..::More to Come::..
5.19.2013
First Day in Amman
Posted by sj-the-infamous at 19.5.13
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment