10.21.2004

"You're Fired!"

[Song of the Day: "My Petition", by Jill Scott]

Talking about break-ups this week. A colleague regaled me with a tale surely not to be beat. He and his then-girlfriend were having dinner, at some fancy-schmancy restaurant, sitting across from each other at the table. Both were all dressed up, she wearing a nice silky, colorful outfit -- I can't recall if he said he was in black tie or not, but that's not important. He'd said they'd had their share of ups and downs and were at the point where it was becoming obvious it had to end, but nonetheless, they were out for the evening. After they'd eaten their meal, dessert arrived. Bananas foster! Whooo!! So the waiter brings it to the table, does all the requisite magic tricks to make patrons go "Whooo, Weeee, Wowwwww" and places it on the table in front of him, still flaming. Then tells him to "blow it out."

My colleague asked me if I ever witnessed anything in slow-motion? Even as slow as it is happening, you can't react fast enough to stop it?

Yea...

He does as the water tells him and watches as droplets of flaming rum blow towards his then-girlfriend, sitting across from him in her pretty and colorful silk outfit.

Soo...rum, fire, flammable clothing (being worn at the moment), and an already rocky and tense time between a couple? So he watched in horror, as the flaming rum droplets landed on her clothes, lighting her outfit afire. Which shocked him and all around ever so briefly, ever so slightly stunting the "rescue effort" because as he put it, he took the time to ask "what the fuck just happened?!"

Needless to say, that relationship went up in flames....

I received my relationship "pink slip" this week. It arrived in my inbox this week. How tacky is that? People can't even talk anymore, pick up the phone, or meet face to face. What is that all about?

I had resigned months ago so now there is some finality to the act. Maybe he'll feel better about it now that he's let go, too.

2 comments:

Jazz said...

WHAT AN ASSHOLE! He couldn't even be a man about it. You know,....I know it's tv,....but do you remember that episode from Sex & the City when Berger broke up with Carrie via Post-it Note? They get that stuff from somewhere. It happens to people all the time. I am just happy you aren't all 'Billie Blue' about it. Now you are open to receive whoever is standing and waiting to be a blessing in your life. Until in,....sistah play!!!! Have some fun.

sj-the-infamous said...

Here comes the BrothaHood Crusade...

He'll be the first to tell you that he needs no one to "step up" for him, but I'll tell you that at this point, I am no longer interested in thoughts of him, nor others thoughts of him. You may know him, you may not, but you sure as hell don't know US, and I dunno what kinda combat you been in, but you stepped out YO regula' mind talking about ME on MY joint. I can't believe I've had to spend time addressing the likes of a brotha that lacks such courtesy. But obviously you ain't knowing...on more than one front. Now go handle ya own biz wit ya own "strong" sista. Byte Me...