7.22.2005

Sugar in the Water


Jilly from Philly...

Mz. Badu...

The Queen...











I need rest. My voice is hoarse. My feet hurt (I've been on them since 8ish this evening).

and they still hurt...a day later LOL

Ok...I would be remiss if I didn't share my thoughts first, on the venue in which I was lucky enough to catch this show. This was my first time going to Chastain. And more than likely, my last. NOT what I expected. For those of you in the Wash DC *urea*, Pier 6 in Bmore, Merriweather in Columbia -- those venues leap to mind when you think of outdoor amphitheatre, no? Especially for the prices charged for this concert and others that I considered purchasing at some point....at the least I expected a covered seating area, and well...an actual seat.

Nah...not at Chastain. Think Carter Barron. With glorified park benches.

Not to mention the parking situation...lawd haf mercy. I wish somebody woulda warned a sista. So I was experiencing a range of emotions already before I even stepped up to the gate and then walked inside...and that lawn? What da hell?! Not even a glorified backyard....LMAO

Anyhoo....initially, I was clearly unimpressed. But as the night wore on, I came to appreciate the wide aisles and the lack of restrictions that actual seats create for a night of much movement and karaoke-esque singing at the top of ones lungs. Hehehehehehe......yet and still, doubt I will be back unless its somebody I just can't pass up. And considering I haven't been to a concert since gawd knows when, I doubt that'll be seeing Chastain again while I am here in the ATL.

But back to the show....
Missed Floetry -- but heard them from my prime location in traffic on Powers Ferry Road LMAO

Found parking, found our seats, got our setup all together and we were first blessed by the Queen. Girlfriend did take it back -- I really wanted to hear "Ladies First", but alas, she opted for taking it back to "Princess of the Posse". Noticeably, not many in the audience seemed to know the song. Proof that I am an ol' skool head. LOL She did a few more songs from her new album, including my favorite -- "Simply Beautiful", -- which is all I needed to hear to be happy,-- as well as songs from her Black Reign album, including the crowd fave -- U.N.I.T.Y complete with a stroll through the crowd. Loved it!

Set change and out comes Jilly from Philly. For the record, let me state that Jill Scott did change my life...and although I have tried to see her live before, this was my first time. And what a treat it was!! Yanno, every live band/singer in the country has done covers of her catalogue, so actually getting to hear HER sing it was so entirely special. And she has sooooooo.....many songs with what, 3 albums? Amazingingly enough, she didn't sing any of my faves from her first or second album, but she did do "Whatever" from her latest, which is the only favorite of mine so far released on that CD. She could have sang all night and it wouldn't have been enough. She is fabulous live, truly!!

Set change, again....and let me state for the record that I LOVE Erykah Badu's band!! Their sound is so unique -- I don't know what it is, but they sound like no one else. Love that flute, too! And she sounds the same live as she does on her CDs. Clear, real, beautiful....but she spends way too damn much time scattin' and shit. They had to shut her down at the end and she clearly could have gotten in a couple more songs. But Chastain will kill your mic at 11 on the dot, so the sound died, but she and her SugarWater sistas were still up there LOL

All in all, I love Queen Latifah, but if they had done away with Floetry and given Jill and Erykah a couple hours each, that would have been the ultimate concert. I mean, it was a treat that all of them were on one ticket, trust...but clearly, I have my preferences, and I don't ever need to see Floetry again -- in fact, glad I missed them this time LOL

Overall, in spite of my reaction to the venue, the concert was excellent. I had a ball. The rain eventually went away and the clear, full, moon shone overhead and it was the perfect setting for a good time with friends. If Latifah, Jill, and Erykah come to put sugar in your water, make sure you get there to get your fill of this sweet treat, k? Not to be missed....

..::es mis dos centavos::..

5 comments:

Pamalicious said...

Well hurry up cause I wanna hear about the concert! :)

..Sue...Zette... said...

I'm so mad I couldn't go. *Sigh*

Rod said...

Thanks for the write up. I will hear them in Chicago next week. Really am looking forard to it.

Rod2.0

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time!

Nice place you got here.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a good time too...now maybe you can mosey on over to my site and see what I been up to! Ain't heard from you in a coon's age (did I say that???)

Wheeeee!!!!