7.17.2006

Damn a G8

"Africa needs partners
who can bring skills,
expertise and resources
to the problems and
challenges it faces and
defi nes. It is through these
partnerships that Africa
can realize its full potential."


Did you know?


The Leon H. Sullivan Summits bring together the world’s political and business leaders, delegates representing national and international civil and multinational organizations, and members of academic institutions in order to focus attention and resources on Africa’s economic and social development. Their mission was inspired by Rev. Leon H. Sullivan’s belief that the development of Africa is a matter of global partnerships. It was particularly important to Rev. Sullivan that Africa’s Diaspora and Friends of Africa are active participants in Africa’s development.

Press Coverage

A summit of a different kind

The world has been and continues to fall to pieces, socially, economically, politically as evidenced by the turmoil, mayhem, unchecked volatility going on in geopolitical spaces across the map. Israel and Lebanon, Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea....when it comes to Africa, however, you'd never hear about it unless someone of a lighter hue was involved. When did the Sudan become known in the american lexicon? Can we all say Bono?

I am a huge proponent of what I like to call reciprocal learning. A twist on each one teach one, rather, each other ~ teach another, if you will. We can all learn something from each other. As such, (and I've noticed this trend as I get older), when my peoples are gathering, I tend to suggest an educational component to the gathering. Friends graduation party -- became a networking event. Sister's birthday party -- became a South Africa trip debrief. And I am also the one talking the donate game and passing the beer mug -- what cause are you going to come off some change for today? Usually, with an African-American or beyond the border theme, of course.

Everytime I hear about another one of you colored folks talking about you are going "back" to Jamaica, I cringe. I mean, what the hell for? Isn't there more to the world than Jamaica? This is soapbox material for me, but it was reinforced again listening to the stories my sister told this weekend of her trip to South Africa and being called an "american nigga" or telling people she lives in Georgia and they respond "LUDA!" MTV is world wide folks, and think about what we export -- how Black america is portrayed. That alone is reason enough for me to travel widely, to beat the stereotypes, to educate others about another aspect of what Black America really is.

*stepping off soapbox*...A comment I overheard at the South Africa debrief/party about Black folks being mistreated worldwide drives me. Why come? I don't know the fundamental answer to that. But I do know that having knowledge gets me closer. My wish is that more of us were interested in being so knowledgeable. I'll keep trying....and learning.

..::More to Come::..

2 comments:

Knockout Zed said...

My fear of flying (not of al-Qaeda) has got me shook on the travel tip. I'd love to do more of it, though.

The shit we export is the same shit we consume here. It's not like the good shit is being filtered out then exported. We're wallowing in filth.

KZ

Jonzee said...

I am planning to spend a month in South Africa this winter and two weeks in Zambia next spring.

I, too, that Black folk need to think Globally and Act Globally. We need to understand the bigger picture, but as usual we are behind the Eight Ball. Now 'adays, often at are own doing.

I have a friend who helps organize the Leon Sullivan Summit every year. He felt like it was an amazing trip. I would love to do this too.

I will leave you with one thought on Africa
As my Zambian friend (sometimes date) says "If we (black folk--specifically those residing in the us)dont care about Africa, who will? The Europeans will pillage and leave as they have always done. Opportunity to make something wonderful exists for all Black people, if they choose to care."