
The National Black Arts Festival is back! This year promises to be one of the best ever. The focus this year is on the parallels between South Africa and the American South. There is a fabulous lineup of dance, music, film, theatre, visual and literary arts of the African Diaspora to experience and I DO hope if you are in the ATL area you come on down! If you aren't in the area - make plans to BE in the area. It is not something to be missed!
I am inspired by this every year. I participate in as many events as possible, and get a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to produce such an event as a volunteer. Not to mention the perks of attending events and meeting influential contacts in the city and beyond. This year has special significance because of my ties to South Africa that are growing by the day. Have I said I can't WAIT to be there next year? Basically....but in the interim, we're celebrating my sister's recent trip and birthday this weekend, with the hopes of introducing others to all that South Africa is about -- that which you DON'T see in the media and -- and encouraging others, particularly Black Americans to visit so that when South Africans meet you, they realize you are not just an "American Nigga" from Georgia, home of Ludacris. He is pimpin' all over the world though, huh?
From the Pan African Film Festival at the Alliance Theater, the Rejoice Pre-Broadway Production at the Woodruff Arts Center, the Body Maps collection of HIV-positive artists at City Gallery, the Artists Market at Greenbriar and the Vendor Marketplace this year at Atlantic Station, there is much to do, see, hear, buy, experience...and I hope you will take advantage of this extraordinary learning opportunity!
I'll see you there!
[Song of the Day: "Southern Stuff" by Anthony Hamilton]


2 comments:
I just recently discovered your blog on Black Women Who Blog and really like it. Keep up the great blogs!
Thanks Cocacy!
Post a Comment