"Moot Court Team First from HBCU to Win ABA/Marshall National Competition
The Howard University School of Law Huver I. Brown Trial Advocacy Moot Court Team has won the 2005 National Criminal Justice Trial Advocacy Competition, sponsored by the American Bar Association (ABA) and John Marshall Law School on April 2.
The team successfully competed against 18 schools, including two-time champion Harvard University and this year's finalist Brooklyn Law School and semi-finalist American University Washington College of Law, to become the first historically Black institution to win the contest. Additionally, team member L. Chris Stewart received the "Outstanding Advocate Award."
Announced in 1990 by the ABA and Marshall Law School, this is an annual invitation-only competition, and schools must submit a "declaration of interest" to be considered for participation."
ALL.LOVE.ALWAYS for my Alma Mater...when it comes to history-making "firsts" we've got that on lock. Yet, for every "first" we add to the trophy case, I must wonder, why has it taken so long to acheive? Not that I am not proud of the achievements of Black folks, particularly those of Howard students and alums, but the question nags at me -- why only now? This particular competition has been going on 15 years -- I don't know when HU was first invited; should this have been our first year, then I am especially proud we won -- yet equally disappointed, that 15 years passed before we were even invited. But let me focus on the good here:
Muchas Felicidades to my future fellow alums on a job well done!
[Song of the Day: "I'm so glad I went to Howard U"]
4.13.2005
On being 1st....
Posted by sj-the-infamous at 13.4.05
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment