8.18.2005

Rest In Peace

I lost my Aunt today....

Words never adequately express the emotions experienced when death takes a loved one. My Aunt Coco was a special spirit. She lived a life! Overcame many obstacles and worked through, or tried to work through many issues. By no means was she perfect, but she was a giving person -- she didn't have much but she gave what she had, and she loved us all, fiercely, and showed us in the way she knew how.

My Mother lost her sister-in-law, but most importantly, her friend....

Through ups and downs, I learned the most about what friendship could be from my Aunt and my Mother. One of the last things she said to me was "Your mother is a doll. I appreciate her so much, I can't thank her enough for everything..." Ditto on that -- for both of you.

My Cousins lost their mom.....

I can't even begin to know what my cousins are experiencing. We've all had trying times with our parents, our families, but healing begins when you accept the challenge to work through them. I witnessed the change in their relationship with their mom, (and how she became the.most.loving.grandmom.ever LOL) and although we never want to lose our loved ones, knowing that their relationship was the best it could be when she passed on, brings peace to the family.

My Great Aunts and Uncles lost their niece....

She was their shining star -- she came west full of dreams and glory. As those faded, not did the family love and concern. They taught by example, she learned, she grew. Yes, she did make them proud, she had nothing to worry about.

My Daddy lost his big sister....

The one he was closest to as a child, the one he didn't seem to get along with as an adult. His sister nonetheless. They both made it out of Prichard, Plateau, Whistler and Eight Mile onto Southern California and carved a piece of that american dream for themselves and their families. In the end you never want to see your Big give up, but like always, she gave the best fight she could.

I lost my Aunt today...

About a year ago, my heart was crushed, I was home, recovering, and she and I sat and talked a while about love, life, the possibility and potential of marriage, and she told me then to "never let a man steal your joy." She reminded me of how much I had to offer, how beautiful I am, how strong I am, and all that I had surrounding me that demonstrated love in return. Sure, she wanted to see me married and knocked up, giving the family more generations to love, but what she wanted for me most was a fufilling life, full of joy. I needed to hear that then, and I am grateful I was there for the conversation.

Aunt Coco may you finally Rest In Peace.....

3 comments:

Pamalicious said...

Chica -

I am so sorry for your lost - you are in my thoughts.

sj-the-infamous said...

Thanks Nikki and Pam for your thoughts and prayers. Much appreciated ~ sj

Anonymous said...

just passing through and wanted to send love and light...my mother is terminally ill and your post touched my heart. love to you!