8.16.2005

What would you do?

So....I've done a couple of phone interviews with this organization in Washington DC that is the global association for the field I am trying to get into.

I applied for a management position in their Education/Professional Development Services department and from jump the woman (who would be my direct supervisor) tells me they don't pay for interviewees to come in and insinuated that my best shot would be to fly in since their other final candidates are local. I have resisted all requests to pay for an airline ticket on my own, and suggested phone interviews. The last phone interview I didn't even bother with my A game, and almost cancelled the interview since her statement to me indicated I didn't have a chance.

Well whaddya know....she calls me this morning and says I am their final candidate but they can't make an official offer until we have an in-person interview. BUT, they still aren't willing to pay for a ticket. I told her I'd be in the area at the end of the month, that was the best I could do, but she keeps urging me to re-think and try to come in sooner if possible.

What would you do in this situation? A few facts:

This organization is a non-profit, but I don't think that prohibits them from paying for airline tixs.
I find her voice and her personality highly annoying, and she would be my direct supervisor.
I don't want to move back to DC, but if I was to, it would only be for a job with this organization or the State Department
I don't know the pay scale for this job yet -- and I definitely don't want to come out of pocket for a job that I won't take if the pay isn't right.

So what are my options? Talk to me....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say get all that info first before making that trip. Inform them of your concerns so that when and if you do decide to head out there and it's not your cup of tea they are not surprised at you declining the offer.

Good luck to you! keep us updated.

Pamalicious said...

As you know I work for a non-profit and we are flying someone in next week for a lower management position and letting her stay the weekend to see friends ON US - so I don't know about that.

I see a power shift - she messed up by telling you, you are a final candidate - because it's like they want you - so why would you pay. How about 1/2. I would definately find out some of the missing links to see if it were worth taking the trip - however, if you are feeling bad vibes or forseeing a postal situation - then don't do it :)

Anonymous said...

I personally would not pay to go interview for a job..Especially since they are not talking money...Are they gonna put you up in a hotel? if they want you which it sounds like they do, they will make all provisions especially if you are the most qualified..The problem probably is you threaten her job which is the reason for the attitude on her part..If you are employed where you are, don't stress them. The key is to make them want you in this case...One love...

..Sue...Zette... said...

Ditto to what everyone else said