I just came back from the Red Cross service center here in Atlanta and as I sit here typing this out, I realize just how much of a trying experience this truly is. I take soo much for granted, everydamnday, and that has been brought to light for me over the last couple days that I have spent volunteering at the Red Cross.
I may not have moolah, but I have time, so that is what I have been giving since I returned to the ATL. And for all the contempt and/or indifference that people hold for the American Red Cross, until you have stepped inside and tried to do their job, understood their role, and wondered at the complexity of it all, you really have no idea what the hell you are complaining about. Prior to this, my only interaction with the Red Cross was as an annual blood donor. I hear people bitch about the Red Cross and funding issues, but tell me this, if the Red Cross ceased to function, who would step into fill that void, cuz it sure as hell ain't the Feds, and local nonprofits, businesses, and churches aren't equipped. Again, no tengo dolares, entonces I give my time. And as trying as it is, I will do it again, over and over, as long as I have to in order to help the Red Cross meet the needs of those displaced in the Atlanta area.
It is said 1,000 people a day are streaming into Atlanta from the Gulf Coast region and the 5 Service Centers here can't manage them all. The lines are extraordinarily long, the wait seems like forever, there's not enough staff, nor room, nor parking, no volunteers -- but they are working to meet the need. And the situation is fluid -- relief efforts are changing so that evacuees can be better served, but it requires patience and resilience. On everyone's part.
I've listened to disturbing stories, answered hundreds of questions, given lots of smiles and hugs and reassurance and even my small part doesn't seem to make a dent. But I suppose it is something. As I made the trek back to my car, parked blocks away since you can even get onto the Red Cross parking lot, I couldn't even imagine what evacuees are experiencing. Despite hearing their stories, processing their paperwork and getting them aid, it just seems unreal. As trying as this is, I wish there was more I could do. I'll sleep on it and head back there in the morning, to start all over again....
I may not have moolah, but I have time, so that is what I have been giving since I returned to the ATL. And for all the contempt and/or indifference that people hold for the American Red Cross, until you have stepped inside and tried to do their job, understood their role, and wondered at the complexity of it all, you really have no idea what the hell you are complaining about. Prior to this, my only interaction with the Red Cross was as an annual blood donor. I hear people bitch about the Red Cross and funding issues, but tell me this, if the Red Cross ceased to function, who would step into fill that void, cuz it sure as hell ain't the Feds, and local nonprofits, businesses, and churches aren't equipped. Again, no tengo dolares, entonces I give my time. And as trying as it is, I will do it again, over and over, as long as I have to in order to help the Red Cross meet the needs of those displaced in the Atlanta area.
It is said 1,000 people a day are streaming into Atlanta from the Gulf Coast region and the 5 Service Centers here can't manage them all. The lines are extraordinarily long, the wait seems like forever, there's not enough staff, nor room, nor parking, no volunteers -- but they are working to meet the need. And the situation is fluid -- relief efforts are changing so that evacuees can be better served, but it requires patience and resilience. On everyone's part.
I've listened to disturbing stories, answered hundreds of questions, given lots of smiles and hugs and reassurance and even my small part doesn't seem to make a dent. But I suppose it is something. As I made the trek back to my car, parked blocks away since you can even get onto the Red Cross parking lot, I couldn't even imagine what evacuees are experiencing. Despite hearing their stories, processing their paperwork and getting them aid, it just seems unreal. As trying as this is, I wish there was more I could do. I'll sleep on it and head back there in the morning, to start all over again....
..:: More to Come ::..

5 comments:
sj...it's been a minute since i stopped by...but i am in the same boat that you are...no moolah to donate...but time...and i don't mind giving my time...
keep doing what you're doing...it may not FEEL like much...but for MOST of those whose lives you touch...it's making a world of difference...
oh...btw...loving your new look...it's quite calming...
i hear ya- it is ashame that they are forcing the red cross to leave New orleans so the people who are refusing to leave will be more "motivated" to get out - be sure to check out my blog!
Resilience, I like that.
Donations help...but, what you're doing at Red Cross makes a DIRECT impact. That's the kind of help makes a change in people around you...on the inside.
I wish so bad I had the time to donate. Hopefully I will have a few hours tomorrow while Im off. But when Im not here at work, Im at school...
Its a beautiful thing, girl and I know the people whose lives you touched will be forever grateful. Have a good weekend...
Post a Comment