12.02.2005

Figure this out


Count the people, wait until they shift, and then count them again.

Can you explain it?

4 comments:

Knockout Zed said...

I keep watching this thing, hoping I'll get it, but I don't. I know it's an optical illusion, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

KZ

nikki said...

it starts with the shift and ends with the way the bodies are positioned. the half that shifts high will always fall to count out as five people. the half that shifts low is where the illusion takes place.

this whole thing is set up so that the person watching is looking for a shift in feet and body, leading us to believe that each time the shifts occur, each person in the image is affected by the shifts. however, when the lower shift moves from right to left, all on the left are affected by the shift except one. the last person on the left does not change. that's cuz the shift itself stops just before, which ultimately adds an extra person to the image.

if the shift was made completely to the left, the person next to the last person on the left would end up only half covered and the deception would be revealed. as it is, he looks complete except for a bit of hair missing, which isn't enough for the casual eye to see the shift didn't touch him.

i hope that makes sense.

sj-the-infamous said...

WOW! Thank you SO much, Nikki cuz I wasn't knowing LOLOL....

nikki said...

you're welcome! i hate when i can't figure something out. then again, i can't figure men out, so i guess i just walk around in a constant state of frustration.