10.12.2005

Uncontrollable tears

Watching "The Wire," I realize how much I miss "Homicide: Life on the Street." That was my favorite TV show at one time. I absolutely adored Andre Braugher's character, Pembleton. He shoulda got the Emmy for the season in which he suffered that stroke. There were lots of memorable episodes, but one that stands out for me was "Subway" which aired in 1997. About a man that gets hit by a train and stuck between the train and platform, and slowly bleeds to death. And his girlfriend is out jogging along the harbor, above ground all this going on unbeknownst to her. That episode had me crying like a damn baby. Bawling, ya heard?! Ohmigawd!

Which reminds me of other stories that make me cry. We talkin' crocodile duck tears, snot running, body aching cries here. Where my heart and soul are touched by emotion, pain, something...that causes such a reaction. Aside from that episode of "Homicide" the one other thing that I know of that causes an intense emotional reaction is a short story called "Dearly Beloved" by Saundra Sharp. The story of Naomi and her beloved, Harold. So richly written, I can see it come alive in front of me when I read it. You can read it yourself in the anthology "I Hear A Symphony: African-Americans Celebrate Love" edited by Paula Woods and Felix Lidell.

I think the common thread about both of these emotionally gut/heart-wrenching stories is the the passing -- of a loved one, more specifically, your significant other, better half, life partner. Which is probably why "The Hand I Fan With" by Tina McElroy Ansa is my favorite.book.ever. The idea of that kind of loss resonates with me so deeply, perhaps because I have already experienced it, and the thought of ever having to experience it again is more than my emotions, my soul seems to be able to handle.

Not that I ever desire such uncontrollable tears, but should I fall in love again, the possibility will exist.....

..::More to Come::..

[Song of the Day: "Smooth" by Lina]

1 comments:

Black Wombmyn Chat said...

>"The idea of that kind of loss resonates with me so deeply, perhaps because I have already experienced it.."

Okay. Wow. Here's wishing you continued peace and blessings on your path to Healing.