Actually, I remembered more folks than I thought I would from 10 years ago. Homecoming turned out to be pretty good fun. The weather was awful, but proudly sporting my "Class of '95" shirt, I got about 2 good hours out on the yard Saturday afternoon before the skies opened. My girls and I are immortalized on the flagpole in a yearbook (circa 93, 94 maybe?) so where else would you find us?
Saw my first college "crush" -- amazing what you think is "cute" when you are 17, 18 years old is soooo "not cute" when ya 30 plus LOL. But I do think of him everytime I hear "Come and Talk to Me"....
Got a kiss from my "teddy bear" -- my gawd that man still has the.most.beautiful.smile.EVER!
Confirmed my "office hours buddy" was on the yard, taking pictures (I have yet to see the still shots from the last homecoming we were all at).
Got "old school" with one of my mentors, reminisced with a fellow former Hill staffer, ooohhed aaahhed and played with babies, and congratulated many folks on their homes, marriages, careers, moves, and upwardly mobile movements in general. Even had a surprisingly cordial conversation with my ex -- which makes me question how small or large thisblog world really is. Hi Behr-Bear!
Saw my first college "crush" -- amazing what you think is "cute" when you are 17, 18 years old is soooo "not cute" when ya 30 plus LOL. But I do think of him everytime I hear "Come and Talk to Me"....
Got a kiss from my "teddy bear" -- my gawd that man still has the.most.beautiful.smile.EVER!
Confirmed my "office hours buddy" was on the yard, taking pictures (I have yet to see the still shots from the last homecoming we were all at).
Got "old school" with one of my mentors, reminisced with a fellow former Hill staffer, ooohhed aaahhed and played with babies, and congratulated many folks on their homes, marriages, careers, moves, and upwardly mobile movements in general. Even had a surprisingly cordial conversation with my ex -- which makes me question how small or large this
One of da fellaz has a theory about Howard and the "caste" system that Homecoming perpetuates for alumni that choose to return. Something along the lines of people falling into a place in the social cirle depending on just how "active" you were in organizations, who you knew, and knew you, whether or not your ish was really on the hush-hush, or you were widely know as the "community booty"(c) 1993 Kenny and yadda skippy. Regardless of where your life has taken you in the years since you graduated, the moment you step back on the yard for Homecoming that persona from your undergrad years is what people remember, if they remember you at all. For instance, my fellow hill staffer is a successful attorney with a brilliant career, married to an NFL coach, doing very well from all appearances. But after our hugs, air kisses and promises to be in touch, my friends only remember who she is after I relay the sordid tales of her lunch adventures with the Chief of Staff. Who was one of Ebony's 30 Most Promising Leaders back in the day. Ah, the past, the past....
I'm guilty of not remembering names, but faces are somewhat familiar. But then, you have to ask yourself why you remember that face -- was it because you were friends, cordial to each other, or because he or she was a magnet for hate, for one reason or another during your collegiate career? Because on more than one occassion my girl had to ask after someone smiled or spoke, "Did I like her? What was her deal back then?" How much does it matter, anyway. We are all scattered across the country/the globe and we've all changed over the years, as has our circle of influence so what we "were" back in college shouldn't reflect negatively on who we are now. Just make ya mental note, speak and move on....or get ya network on! You never know what someone could be into now....
Despite one awkward and forced moment, and a hellish experience getting into Cafe Asia, I can say my weekend in DC didn't disappoint. I got my "swirl" on at my favorite rooftop restaurant, and closed down Legal with my girls, and a trip "home" ain't a trip home unless I hit the Pancake House on Annapolis Road! LOL And for the record, I still got mad luv for brothas in DC....lawd dem menz be FIONE!! I am so clearly east-coast centric in my taste for the brothas and I very much appreciated all the eye candy present this weekend! Talk about what I miss about DC....
6 more weeks until I return, in time for the birthday celebration, wedding, since this trip truly isn't about me....I MUST get my mind right!
And speaking of birthdays...Besos y Abrazos a Sharaif! Feliz Cumpleanos mi amor....
...::More to Come::..
[Song of the Day: "SupaStar" by Floetry]

2 comments:
I applied to Howard for gradschool, but they replied to late. I always wanted to experience that HBCU life! It sounded good from your Homecoming.
You know that thing about your undergrad persona coming back is true. I was a burn-out loser as an undergrad. I'll be damned if when I went to my homecoming I reverted into similar behaviors around the same people. Drank more, got more introverted, sank back into my campus comfort zone. It's kinda funny. Mostly kinda sad.
KZ
Post a Comment